Friday, December 4, 2009

Chocolate Sheetcake and Confessions

I have to make a confession to you- a big, ugly, dark secret- I don't have ANY Christmas spirit. Yes I said it- I am devoid of Christmas spirit and I just don't know why. Right now I have the Christmas Music blaring hoping, craving, wishing for some inspiration but nothing. All I can think of just how cold it got so quickly. And how icky the weather is- like a bad day of fall that just won't end but without all the wonderful pumpkins, apples and corn. Maybe its because I just got back from Vegas this week and the weather was so warm and delightful. It felt like the beginning of fall or an early summer day. Intense sunshine and nights full of city lights.

Don't be too worried though friends- I'm sure I'll get it back. Me and Christmas- we have a thing going. A serious thing, I might add, normally by Dec 1 the house is decked out, the tree is up and I'm listening to Christmas Music and sipping cocoa in my favorite turtle neck by the fireplace enjoying every last bit of holiday cheer. Last year I put up two Christmas Trees- two! Okay so they were both under three feet (one three foot, the other barely a foot) but it still counts. And this year I haven't put even one tree up- Its very sad.

But tonight I plan to rectify that. I will be decorating my tree, the house and putting up the outdoor lights. Take that lack of holiday spirit- I will beat you, yes indeed! Tonight I will be doing the Jingle Bell Rock around my Christmas Tree stringing lights and hanging ornaments. And in an attempt to get into the spirit and provide my brothers new church with some delicious (and specifically requested) cake I will also be making my Great Grandma Garrett's Chocolate Cake and let me tell you it is delicious! Its a moist sheet cake with hints of cinnamon and lots of chocolate, topped off with a chocolate icing. Its a family favorite and every since I got the recipe from my grandma last year it has been a staple at family gatherings. It pairs perfectly with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk as my mother prefers. Either way its sure to delight and is the perfect to munch on by the fireplace as you finish putting up the Christmas Tree.

I can already feel the Holiday Spirit!

Grandma Garrett's Chocolate Sheet Cake

For Cake:
  • 2 c flour
  • 2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 c water
  • 3/4 c vegetable oil
  • 4 Tbsp dutch processed cocoa
  • 1/2 c buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

For Icing

  • 4 Tbsp dutch processed cocoa
  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 6 Tbsp heavy cream
  • 1/2 pound (or half a bag) powder sugar

Preheat over to 350 and spray a jelly roll sheet cake pan with cooking spray. Combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. In a medium saucepan over medium high heat add cocoa, vegetable oil and water. Bring to a boil then remove from heat. Add Flour mixture, stirring well to incorporate. Add buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, baking soda and cinnamon stirring well to combine. Mixture will seem runny but don't worry. Pour batter onto prepared jelly roll pan and bake for 20 minutes.

While cake is baking prepare ingredients to make icing. Melt butter, cocoa and cream together in pan over medium-low heat. Once melted add powdered sugar and whisk until combined well. Keep pan over warm stove to make this easier. Pour warm icing over hot cake.

2 comments:

  1. if only we knew you had no holiday spirit we could have helped you. Hopefully saturday night gave you some :) love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I got it. The cake did the trick. :) Well that and the Jingle Bell Rock. hehe.

    ReplyDelete